Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:29:56 EDT
Lloyd and Arron,

I have always thought of a double screen as one of the most useful tools in
an apiary, but none of the major bee supply houses sold them.  A few years
ago, I mentioned this to Steve Forrest of Brushy Mountain Bee Farm and right
away he started building real fancy ones for sale.

I have kept queen banks OVER a double screen for years with an upper entrance
to that body.  For emergency use, I have kept queens banked for as long as 2
months
with no problems.

I don't know whether you want to call this a queenrite colony or not, because
a laying queen is working below, but only the caged queens are above and the
double screen is between them.  Although the only bees working up in the
super area are forager bees, and not nest bees, they seem to feed the queens
fine.

Have I given you any thoughts?

George Imirie