From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2016 08:35:23 +1000
>My operation is beside a river and as a result of the the higher humidity,
I stack my full honey supers in my extracting room with a dehumidifier for 7
days.  Temperature 35-40C(95-105F), humidity 35-45%.

We are told that if the humidity is below 50% then the SHB eggs cannot hatch
and can desiccate.  At 45% you would need to be very careful as some areas
in the supers could be over 50%.  Your temperature is certainly ideal for
SHB particularly if some come back in the supers.  Here in Australia the
changes made were to either extract the honey within 48 hours of arriving
back in the shed or put the supers into a cold room.  These are often run at
around 5 degrees centigrade.  Obviously before extracting the supers need to
be warmed.  We have heard the stories of supers stacked in a room with honey
in them and then the "mobile rice" starts moving across the floor towards
the door.

>I do not filter or strain my extracted honey, but run it from the extractor
directly into my tank, wax and all, to settle for an additional 7 days, then
bottle directly from the tank.

Be aware that SHB will lay eggs and you can have resultant larvae in the wax
that settles on the top of the honey.  If it is sealed then there should be
no problems.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia