From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 16:48:04 -1000
Aloha Bee L family
        In case any of you are considering signing up for best of bee-l for what
it is worth in my humble opinion DON'T DO IT . I did and I am quitting
today as I can't stand to see everyone of the editor's postings twice, once
on bee-l and once on best of bee-l. I have often  wondered what might be
offensive to the capricious, arbirtrary and opinionated editor who sits in
judgment every day of the world, deciding which messages he chooses to be
good enough for his high and mighty group, that he hopes to save the
anguish of having to suffer through the  uncensored postings by good old
down to earth beekeepers trying to express themselves and share information
and experiences. What is the real use? You have to stay on bee-l to make a
posting, and then wait and see if the " Illuminata" of the north country
approves. Well for all the "Empirial We" who sit in judgment at best of
bee. Aloha
        I have posted the "Catch All " criteria for best of bee for all to read
without having to ask for "The Rules"
        Things are nice here in the Pacific and God Bless everyone

                                        Aloha,
                                                 Walter
> dear Allen, Can you advise if my posting on or about 1-30or31 about
> surviving varroa got posted to best of bee. My machine had a major
> crash almost immediatly after I posted to bee-l . I do not think my
> post went up on best of bee and I am wondering why.

I don't recall.  Here is how we select material for Best of Bee:

Criteria for Selection of Posts for Best of Bee

Only about 10% to 90% of posts that are sent to BEE-L go on to Best
of Bee on any given day.  Reduced traffic flow is part of our mandate.  On
busy days, editor(s) are more selective than on low volume days.

Here is how different types of messages are evaluated and treated:

Chatter: is *generally* ignored.

Misdirected Posts: Posts directed at only one list member are
ignored.

Me Too Posts: Generally even otherwise good posts are not passed on.
if they cover matters that have been adequately discussed recently
and add nothing new.

Political or Inflammatory Posts: and matters of only regional
interest are not used, unless they are of possible general interest
too, since our readership includes all parts of the world.

Provacative Posts (Trolls): Generally ignored unless they have some
intrinsic merit.  They may be edited to remove excessively provacative
material.

Flames: Ignored! As are those who use abusive tactics.

Off Topic Posts: Ignored.

Badly Composed Messages: may be edited for relay, if they are
otherwise of potential interest to our readers.

Posts Containing Significant Errors of Fact: or which are highly
opinionated are generally ignored.

Gratuitously Long Signatures: are removed before retransmission.

Bad Spelling: Sometime corrected.

Poor Formatting and Lack of Paragraphing:  Corrected or rejected by the
editor depending on how ambitious he is and the general worth of the
article.

Beyond this, editorial discretion allows for exceptions to these rules
and additionally, any message may be ignored without need for
justification.  Moreover posts from individuals who have a history of
insulting behavior may be ignored, regardless of content.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>