From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 09:08:50 -0400
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_146223927.html

Cox-Foster and a group of researchers have been working on the problem for seven months and
continue to grapple with the crisis as they search for common links.

“I think we’re closer to identifying potential causes. There could be several causes,” she said. “We’re
getting ready to say we are finding some new pathogens that could cause colony collapse.”

Colony collapse disorder has resulted in the deaths of millions of honeybees worldwide. Up to half of
the 2.5 million colonies in the United States have died off.

Many scientists now say the chief suspect is the most commonly used insecticide on the planet:
Imidacloprid. It is found in a variety of commercial insecticides.