From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:41:21 -0400
Concerning Irimies's Pink Pages, Allen Dick's Diary, and even Bee-L, Chuck
said "Such rich and valuable information should be stored in an on-line
accessible university library or some other universally accessible
location."
 I could not agree more. I recently spent many enjoyable hours reading
American Beekeeping Journals from the late 1940's and early 1950's, and
improved my perspectives while noting how much has changed in beekeeping.
Sometimes it takes 50+ years to see these matters in a clear light.
 Some quick thoughts from the Journals of 50+ years ago:
 1. *Major* advertisers were the several manufacturers of comb honey
foundation. Some of these manufactured nothing else!
 2. Post WW II honey price supports were what killed comb honey production!
Comb honey was not included in the price support programs as "it is clear
that all the comb honey produced can be sold at premium prices". So the
government guaranteed the income of those who were producing a product that
was not needed (extracted honey), wiht the result that production increased
every year! With such an income guarantee, who would bother producing a
product that had to be 'sold'?
 3. Fewer than 10 of the organizations that produced queens in 1950 are
still advertising today.
 4. Dadant, Kelley and Root seemed to be the principal suppliers of
beekeeping equipment. (I started beekeeping in 1967 and I recall that Root
was a major supplier, with several branches. I am not clear when they closed
all but the store in Medina, but I think their last full catalog was issued
in the 1980's.)
 5. New York honey production was slipping, Ohio was a major producer, and
California and Florida were barely 'on the charts'.
 6. There was much interest in Caucasian bees, and Carniolans were just
about unknown.
 7. Very few of the advertisements included phone numbers, and most asked
that inquiries be made in writing.
 8. Interest in pollination services was in its infancy. Some beekeepers
felt they should be paid a percentage of the selling price of the crop.
Others wondered if it was worth moving the bees.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.