Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2015 01:46:53 +0000
Absconding because of heat.
Do any of you find that having screened bottom boards helps with temperature control within the hive? Mike in LA

     On Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:33 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 >All this made me wonder how large-scale queen rearers cope in the US with
thousands of nucs out in full sun.

I don't know about others, but I just came in from transferring a bunch of
nucs into singles (have about 150 around the place).  Temps this week have
been close to 100F (38C) with unusually high humidity for Calif.  The nucs
are in full sun most of the day, in dark 5-frame pine nuc boxes with 3/4"
pine lids (155F on top of lids; insulation would sure help).  Light nectar
flow.

It's stressful for them.  Most beard out heavily during the day, and the
nurses eat much of the young brood.  But zero absconding.  I'm transferring
them as they crowd the 5-frame box, since they need more room, but leaving
those that don't yet fully cover all 5 frames to continue building.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA