Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:48:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Admission of guilt- I had not checked my bees for 4 weeks.  Excessive heat, summer travel...  Mea culpa... "They were all doing great the last time I looked..."

Today I go out and fine 4 of my 8 hives with copious amounts of dead bees outside as well as in.  All bees are dead with a few odd wigglers.  Tongues out, wings spread open, most with rear legs out.  The clever neighboring hives have apparently robbed them out- not a trace of pollen or honey (or brood) in the frames...  Question is, was it starvation in a drought/dearth OR herbicide contact/exposure??  A crew has been hired by the power company to clear trees from the lines and my husband said he saw them spraying as well.  I will call the power company when they open next week to find the exact herbicide agent they are using...  Just to check...  No "row crops" grown here in these hills and in a 2 mile radius I know of only one who used to grow alfalfa, but not lately.

What's the deal?  I saved some dead bees and put them in the fridge- should I send them off to be examined by the state entomologist?

Puzzled in the Missouri Ozarks...

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2