From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:12:19 -0300
Effectivally Germans are pushing for a GMO-free label.
http://www.ohnegentechnik.org/das-siegel/voraussetzungen/nutzung-des-siegels-bei-honig.html

It is very naive to think that countries will pass GMO legislations because
of the problems in the honey sector.
The "no need to test" is cheating to the consumers.
People is "eating" more GMO pollen just by breathing "pure"
transcontinental air coming from Canada (full of GMO canola pollen?)
http://www.hutton.ac.uk/webfm_send/532

This whole idea of a new label is worst than the Organic certification we
have been talking on another thread.
Was you Bil the one that said that there were insecticides in organic honey
being tested at Europe?

We shall see what comes out of the EPBA meeting at Brussels at the end of
the month.
http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2012/01/otra-invitacion-que-decline.html
Hopefully sanity (cordura) will prevail !

We beekeepers are not guilty of the farmers or government decisions, and so
far nothing have been proved in terms of health problems consuming GMO
pollen (or any other GMO product as far as I know).

In the case of Chile, because we are a narrow and rolling country, the 10
km distance puts most of the available Ag.country under the GMO influence.
The fruit production will also be impacted if beekeepers decide not to go
to pollinate because of the risk of GMO contamination. We are more than
honey!!!

The rules set by the German GMO-Free label is tought for a flat country
with only experimental GMO plantations, not for a complex geography like
ours.

We are facing a real market crisis over here; if added to Argentina and
Uruguay production also geopardized, will end up afecting the honey price
world wide,
particularly the USA market that is being bombarded by our countries offers
at low price.

Good that all this is happening during a La Niña cycle, because there is
not much honey around. The impact will be less because of lack of honey to
trade. The beekeeping sector is becoming unsustainable !!!

But it is pitty that all this green politics is put over real science. The
banning of MON810 in France is a negociation with greens for them not
opposing Nuclear power, at least that is my opinion.

Whatever, I am just another beekeeper of the lot. Time will tell.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The solution to the problem as outlined by Juanse Barros J, would seem to
> be one way out.
> The alternative is for individual countries to pass national legislation
> which respects the ruling and it was in this context that I read that
> increasing the distance to 10 km was being considered in France. I think it
> was in “Abeilles et Fleurs” the monthly magazine of UNAF. (I shall have to
> read through back copies to find an exact quote.)
> It would make sense here where there are very few GM plantations. At 10km
> from the nearest, a beekeeper could safely put, “Does not contain pollen
> from GM crops” on his honey labels. There would be no need to test.
>
> I was also told by a German visitor that there is some discussion in his
> country about fixing the limit for GMOs to either 3 or 10 km.
> This solution would not work in countries which already have intensive
> planting of GMOs. Happily, it appears certain that maize MON 810 will be
> banned this year in France.

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695