From:
Capt Ken Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 21:53:27 +0000
British Bees have not disappeared morphological measurement of local
honeybees has proved that there are still plenty of British Black(Apis
MM)bees around. I have been collecting genetic material for the last couple
of years but BIBBA(Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association) have been
at it for considerably longer. This bee really suits our climate here.

In my view it has the following benefits over other types here in Britain:

Its breeding habits can be quite localized, in areas where Oil seed rape
(the main crop for many)is produced the local bee starts brood rearing quite
early in the spring and peaks in May, in the heather growing areas brood
rearing doesn't peak until much later (Jul/Aug).

As previously mentioned the Apis MM maintains a compact brood nest I aim to
keep them on 11 BS frames. A bigger brood nest may produce larger surpluses
in good years(as seen in some of the more prolific types) but, over a 5 year
period I would say the dark bee will average out better. It will fly in the
cool damp conditions often experienced in the British Isles when yellow
types are snug in bed. This is also useful for breeders in that dark drones
will fly much earlier in the day and are around early in the year, we have a
much better chance therefore of obtaining purer matings.

Another benefit as far as the VJ mite is concerned is that the dark bee has
an identifiable pause in its breeding cycle. In August there is a halt in
egg laying for around a month before winter bees are produced this trait
provides a useful period in which to strike at the adult V mites.

This bee winters particularly well, in small compact clusters, it tends to
be more frugal in its consumption of winter reserves. Yellow types breed too
late into the year in britain and in poor winters large numbers starve.

Contrary to other views I feel that this bee is extremely robust and
although IoW decease may have contributed to a large drop in their numbers
other factors like The Great War and the resulting lack of good husbandry
during this period also took its toll. What we have now in many areas are
honeybees that have survived and are carrying that resistance in thier
genes. Yes there have been outside influences but in my opinion local traits
have won through in the gene survivability battle and we STILL have
excellent British honeybees.

I am producing around 40 Black queens this year and last years queens are
producing excellent crops already.

                        Ken Black
                        Bay Tree Cottage
                        76 East St, Fritwell
            '\  /`      Bicester,
             ()()       Oxfordshire, England. OX6 9QF
              \/        00441869345725 Fax:00441869256678
                        email: [log in to unmask]

"You Sir are drunk, and you madam are ugly."
"In the morning I will be sober, you however will still be ugly"
Sir Winston Churchill.