Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:08:07 -0600
> California beeks had the most reported CCD and were the users of most of
> the Chinese pollen... Now we find Canada is using mass amounts and
> reporting substantial losses ( winter kill of course)

Actually, I think you need to check your facts.  Canadians are not using
mass amounts, and the winter kills are well documented as relating to the
failure of ]varroa controls.  We'll see what happens this year since the
levels are well under control with Apivar, and nosema levels appear low.

What we do know about California beekeepers -- and I have heard them talk
about it in person -- is that some are using massive doses of farm chemicals
in off-label treatments.  These chemicals are very toxic to bees and it is
not surprising that they are seeing bee loss.  As for CCD, my understanding
is that there is much, much less verified CCD than there are reports
claiming CCD.

> China bee feed pollen sold for less than $2 a pound in bulk. Plenty cheap
> for patties...  I sell pollen I collect for $14 a pound. It would be
> impossible for U.S. or Canada beeks to compete with China dumping bee
> pollen.

Canadian beekeepers want very high prices, but some US beekeepers are
selling in an affordable price range, I understand -- cheap enough for
patties, and last I heard, U.S. pollen is all that can be used in the U.S.
What Medhat said is news to me.

> Global patty sells for less than $2 a pound patty with 15% pollen.

That is true.  Much less than $2.  $1.36, apparently.
http://globalpatties.com/orders/order_us.htm

> Maybe a Canada beek will provide a source as I am interested in buying a
> large amount of U.S. bee feed pollen a price low enough I could add 15% to
> a pound patty and sell for less than $2 a pound patty.

Whay would a Canadian beekeeper want to buy U.S. pollen when we can by from
anywhere in the world at reasonable prices?

> I have been sitting here with a calculator and the only way I can see is
> with a imported irradiated pollen...  I think Allen pointing out all
> Global patties sold into the U.S. has to be made with U.S. pollen says the
> ban is still in effect.

Last I heard, it was.

> However Aphis does no checking. Makes rules with no enforcement.

Careful.  Even occasional statements like that destroy your credibility with
those who actually do know about these things.