From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:27:53 -0600
> I get queens from two sources.  A major supplier in Hawaii and my
> neighbours who raise cells.  My neighbours are doing careful hygienic tests
> on their breeding stock and are happy to discuss the results of their
> testing.  I don't know about the Hawaiians. I wrote my supplier there a
> week or so ago...

I received an answer yesterday and will quote from it here, inasmuch as I don't
believe I am betraying any trust or revealing any confidences in doing so.  I
agree that we will not be doing ourselves any favours by saying nasty things
about breeders or casting them in a bad light if they do not agree with us.  We
need to work together, and politeness and mutual respect is essential to doing
good business.  For the record: the supplier quoted here is my current supplier
of first choice these days.  His carniolan queens excel in wintering as well as
honey production.  I am hoping that the hygienic factor is increasing over time,
since he says they are measuring it -- even if it does not appear to be the
first consideration in their selection. (perhaps it should not be since, as he
points out, the whole object of keeping bees is to make honey).

Here is the quote:

"The first hygienic testing I did was back in the 80's with Taber's method of
frozen brood. We did that for several years back then.  I started the testing
again with the more recent publicity.  We have seen chalk brood reduced to
almost nothing, where it had been severe on occasion.  We also have done years
of testing for tracheal mite resistance with Medhat Nasar and now Robert
Danka(USDA).  Both of these areas have shown positive signs, but I do not think
breeding will be the total answer.  If it were, then AFB would not be a problem
now, as so much breeding has focused on it for the last 40 years. It seems that
most anything can be selected for these days, if we all remember to retain the
"ol honey making" traits and genetic diversity. I am very happy with the T-mite
progress we have made by testing breeder brood in mainland labs and selecting
the best.  Establish a breeder pool with those and then cross the lot with AI.
The daughters of these queens tested very well, so now we are re-queening our
drone mothers with these and selecting new ones for queen mothers next year.
The progress that can be made with AI is amazing."

I should mention here that I am much less happy with the Australian supplier I
was extolling several years back, since the chalkbrood in the hives from his
last batch of packages is as high as 30%.  I gather he has not been using
hygienic tests.

That is not to slag all Aussie bees, since some of the best I have ever had came
from there.  Is the hygienic test catching on down under?  Anyone?

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/
Adventures in commercial hobby beekeeping