From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:00:15 -0400
>The feral population is all
>gone, which opened up a niche for Africanized bees."

I sometimes wonder how they keep coming to this conclusion that “The feral
population is all gone”.  Feral populations may have been ‘reduced’ in the
90’s from disease and pests, but they certainly are not ’all gone’ and
lately seem to be rebounding strong.

In my neck of the woods,  I am seeing some intense competition coming from
woodland ferals.  It seems in this feral recovery competitiveness is
back,   and if hives are not kept strong an healthy, the woodland ferals
here seem quick to make a happy meal out of it.

Perhaps, in these times of fall colony crashes, any colony able to
identify these weak colonies first to rob will a selective advantage.  So
as of late, I continue to see a high degree of testing from scouts.  And
beelines from my neighbors colonies and some of my nucs that were robbed
out zip off to the woodlands where many of the ferals seem to “have all
gone”.  ;)

Best Wishes

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA ‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
FeralBeeProject.com
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/H...neybeeArticles