From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:21:19 -0400
>  For example, if you check USA stats it will say numbers declined from 4.5 mil to 2.6 mil from 1950 year to 2014 year.

This was because honey prices and demand caved after WWII. Many beekeepers quit when the demand for beeswax and honey evaporated. I have the American Bee Journal for the entire decade of 1940 to 1950. The story is right there.

In fact, in the early 1950s the journals are constantly talking about price supports (government buys your honey, because consumers don't want it) and what will happen if the government pulls the plug.

Do beekeepers really still believe the taxpayers should write them checks when things get rough? The high price of pollination is a direct result of beekeepers having a product somebody wants.

PLB