From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 05:00:21 -0600
Suzanne said:
I'm very excited because I have just mailed my registration for my first bee
school.

Beekeeping can be a very enjoyable hobby (if you do not mind the occasional
sting).  Mentors are a big help but if not available then the bee school is
the next best  way to learn. Joining your local bee club is another way to
learn and make new beekeeping friends.

A world of beekeeping information is available on the net. Most  of the
information is sound except in a few areas of *home remidies* for bee
problems in my opinion.

Suzanne asks:
I am wondering if I will have a chance to register my hive there. I
inherited my first hive at the end of last summer so I didn't get around to
registering it.

I do not know if Ohio has a hive registration but sure others on the list
will know.

Suzanne asks:
Are all hives in the US registered or does that differ from state to state?

Differs from state to state.

What is the purpose of registering a hive?

So the state can keep track of the hives and do inspections if a problem
arrises. A small fee per hive is charged the hive owner in a few states like
Florida & Nebraska.
.
A federal registration has never been talked about to my knowledge.

What happens if I harbor an unregistered hive?

I doubt you have to worry about your front door being kicked in and you
hauled off to jail by U.S. Marshals but  If Ohio has a registration policy I
would  register your hive. The people teaching the bee school should be able
to tell you.
Good luck with your new hobby!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Missouri

Concerning Missouri rules:
 The larger beekeeper which sends hives out of state in Missouri needs an
inspection. We had to get an inspection paper last year saying our hives
were free of fire ants to enter California. The hives  were  inspected on
arrival in California and also when they returned to Missouri before they
were allowed to be moved from the holding area. Every hive was looked into
on the return and a fee was charged by the Missouri inspection service.

All states which are considered major beekeeping states have got an
inspection service such as California, Texas & Florida. Many minor
beekeeping states such as Missouri have only got a single person Apiary
department  which hires  qualified beekeepers to do  inspections  in areas
of the state if needed. We can not sign our own inspection slip! A few other
states such as Arizona have no apiary inspection department at all.

Hives are not (at this time) registered nor are locations in Missouri.
However  the  Missouri state inspection service wants to know the location
and number of hives treated under a section 18. Many beekeepers  with a few
hives do not comply but all of the rest of us do  to my knowledge.