From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 08:45:59 -0500
The drift of mites from collapsing colonies has been carefully measured by a number of researchers.  It can be up to 1500 mites over a relatively short period of time.  "Normal" figures are of course lower.

Thanks for the explanation,  much appreciated.

I have NOT ready the studies you mention.  But here is the problem I see with the math.  Lets assume you have a "weak hive"  say20k bees,  at 15% infestation.  That’s only 3000 mites.   If you "assumed"   that EVERY mite in the hive successfully jumped ship,  on a typical pallet you would at best see a 750 mite increase in the other 3 hives.    Additional 750 mites in a strong hive  (say 30k bees) would at best be a 2% spike.

Hardly a huge influx.   The other problem with that is the concept of ALL the mites  jumping.  I don't think anything over say 25% could be remotely possible......

There are 2 factors to consider in this though.  One is the method and timing of mite collapse.   We typically see winter collapse here.  In which I would suspect that almost impossible to see mite transfer.  The other method of collapse is slow dwindle.  Somewhat like a queenless hive  with the addition of Small Hive Beetles.  As this hive shrinks,  beetles take over the brood nest,  probably also reducing the number of phoretic mites that could transfer.

A wise teacher once told me,  if you can define the problem with numbers,  you can find the  answer.  In this problem,  I can't see the math yet.

Charles