From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2008 00:04:28 -0800
>In this article, the authors show that virus does replicate in mites

In order to determine if a single stranded RNA virus is indeed replicating
in varroa, researchers look for the presence of the complementary negative
strand that is produced during replication.

Ongus found that both DWV and Varroa Destructor Virus-1 do indeed replicate
within varroa mites.

However, there was another paper, quite recent, I believe, that found that
DWV did not reproduce in varroa.  I can't put my hand on it.  Pete, can you
remember?

I believe that there was also a paper from New Zealand that found that some
varroa were immune to DWV, and wouldn't transmit it to bees.

Tough to sort this all out.  But if some varroa are indeed resistant to DWV,
that could be a good reason for promoting those lines of mites!

Randy Oliver