From:
janet montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 07:29:44 -0400
If illegal residues of a registered pesticide are found in a raw
agricultural commody by the FDA, its label can be withdrawn. That would mean
that we would no longer have Apistan strips to save us from mites, a
situation that would be a disaster.  The monitored item would be the
technical ingredient, not the commercial product , so if the residues are
found from the improper use of Apistan strips OR from the misuse of Mavrik
it doesn"t matter as there is still illegal residues.
By the way , there are laws in effect that levy fines from $1000-5000 on an
individual for using an Agricultural product inconsistant with its labelling
as is stated on the Mavrik label .. So using Mavrik in this way is not a
good idea on many fronts.
DAN VEILLEUX
COLUMBUS, OHIO

At 01:02 PM 10/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks Aaron,
>
>I tried making essentially the same point in August (the dipping of cloth
>strips into Mavrick and use of the strips in place of Apistan is one form
>of the "home remedy" I referred to as being used by some of the large
>honey producers) but received but one reply (a lengthy one from the old
>drone, more or less downplaying the problem because it was being monitored
>and nobody was in a position to cheat!; you may remember it).  My point
>was/is that we ought to be concerned about the wax pool (stream, whatever)
>and about honey contamination - for a variety of reasons (e.g., as listed
>in your post).  I don't know why people weren't expressing concern then
>(maybe I should have stated exactly what was being done instead of simply
>referring to "home remedy."  But I figured the commercial subscribers, at
>least, would know what I was talking about) but its nice to see some
>serious concern being voiced now.  Sarcasm can certainly work wonders!
>
>> Regarding the flurry over the MISuse of Mavrik, David Trickett posted:
>> >
>> > ...  I don't see what everyone is so worried about
>> > however...  After all, there are hordes of lab techs out there
>> > monitoring the purity of wax and honey... right?
>> >

>> That is PRECISELY! the concern.  If/when one of the hordes of lab
>> technicians blats to the media that they discovered traces of pesticide
>> in what is perceived by the public to be a pure and wholesome food, we
>> beekeepers will be hard pressed to give honey away, let alone sell it
>> at an acceptable profit!!!  The only way to prevent that dismal day is
>> to use available products conscientiously, following the label directions
>> and keeping potential contaminates out of our hives!!!  When it comes to
>> using Mavrik or leaving Apistan strips in year round, follow the advice
>> of Bob Dole, "Just don't do it!"  All it will take is one story out of
>> Mississippi or Maryland about residues showing up in honey, and
>> beekeepers EVERYWHERE will pay the price for the few beekeepers who are
>> trying to cut corners by using pesticides produced for uses other than
>> mite control in bee hives.  We'll all pay for the "frugality" of a few.
>> Please, for the sake of MY profits and the sake of our industry as a
>> whole, play by the rules!!!
>>
>> Aaron Morris - thinking I'll hear it for this one....

Janet Montgomery
104 Fallis Road
Columbus, Ohio  43214-3724
Home:   (614) 784-8334