From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:04:10 -0500
Hello All,
Robert wrote:
>         Supposing complete 'sequence information' on bee DNA had been
produced; how could that sequence of letters (which you can safely assume
to be in just the 4-letter alphabet beloved of the sequencing industry) be
used for any purpose such as stated by Daniel?  His language
('dramatically' etc) is that of PR, not of science.

I agree Robert.

On the other hand I (like Danny) am excited about the project and am
optimistic about the project. Danny with his efforts  got the honey bee
genome project ahead of many other genome projects. Why not honey bee
genome?

 Danny Weaver is not on the list to my knowledge but I have heard Danny talk
about the project before (Savannah 2002)so will comment for him.

 Danny is also doing research on controlled breeding under a three acre (I
hope the size is correct)  tent like affair in Texas.

Danny Weaver (of one of the oldest beekeeping families in the U.S.) is
optimistic about the future of beekeeping. Although commercial beekeeper
numbers have gotten smaller I can safely  say there are  many outstanding
young beekeepers stepping up to take the top spots in the industry in the
U.S..

 Danny Weaver, Clint Walker  and Gus Rouse to name only a few.

Quite a bit of exciting honey bee research is going on in the U.S.. Jerry B.
is about to share his research with the world before long.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison