From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:48:05 -0400
Greetings
        So far I have had little success at getting both sides of the
issue of small cells. A certain number of people are *convinced* that
small cells control varroa but no one offers any scientific studies
that demonstrate it.
        In order to justify the thousands (or tens of thousands) of
dollars that would be required to convert a bee business to smaller
cells, there has to be *proof.* If varroa is controlled in southern
Arizona -- and they use small cell foundation -- what does this mean?
        It may mean it works. It may mean they all have Africanized
bees, which can ward off mites. It may mean the mites have succumbed
to some disease of their own! Who knows? It has to be field tested in
a variety of locations and climates. It has to be field tested side
by side with regular hives in the same apiary.
        And even if it does work at first, will it continue to work
or will the varroa adapt in 7 or 8 years (as they have done with
Apistan) leaving everyone sadder and wiser?
        We all want to control varroa without chemicals. Already many
people avoid honey because the have *heard* that it contains
chemicals. (Never mind that so does all the rest of their food). But
we all want something that works, especially if it is extremely
costly.
        I don't know why this idea hasn't caught on. I am still
trying to find out. I have been criticized for being skeptical, but
that is the cardinal rule of scientific study. You've got to have
proof, no matter how pretty the theory.

Peter Borst