From:
Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:40:46 -0500
Hello All.

  Just to add to David Greens earlier posting about our 'very'
warm winter.  I am located in Lexington, South Carolina, USA.
probably 70 miles or so further inland from David.   My are
almost busting out of their hive this spring.  (I can only
imagine how much stronger they would have been if I wouldnt have
fed them that deadly Sugar Syrup).  With the Dandelions,
daffodils, Forsythia (for the last month), Redbuds, lots of
flowering Shrubs busting out in bloom, and my vehicles dusted in
yellow Pollen,  I am starting to think were going to have an
early flow this year.

  I started Beekeeping last year in May, and all the folks were
talking about was how bad the swarming was in April.  They
normally Super around April 1st, and those who did not super by
around mid march last year lost a lot of swarms.  This winter has
been milder and warmer, and everyone is talking about Supering in
mid march, Could it possibly start before mid march?

Any other SC Beekeepers thinking the same? or have any thoughts?

Also, Is there anyone in the SC area that may have a hive scale
for Sale??  It appears that a scale would be a sure fire way to
tell when a flow starts.

Rod Billett
Lexington, SC  USA
Hobbiest with 2 Hives -
One being a swarm caught last August, Hived on foundation and
never would have survived w/o Sugar Syrup - it is now occupying a
double deep with 20 frames of drawn comb!