From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2009 15:20:18 -0400
I have no scientific evidence other than what I personally see and
think.  I am one of 150 beekeepers in my county.

I am getting lots of swarm calls.  LOTS.  I am not in the south but
just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio.  I have documented 5 bee trees, and
at least 18 swarms that have not come from domestic colonies (no
marked queens no registered colonies nearby).

I disagree with the article that wild or feral colonies (defined as
unkept bees with European origin) are on the decline, at least in our
region.  They appear to be doing quite well.

I'll argue that with more hobbyists coming into the fold we will see
even more feral/wild colonies as these new folks learn to control
swarming.

I've been documenting what I see here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117886624143477054096.00044e0f2a3594950f7cf&ll=39.163476,-84.790335&spn=0.040062,0.061798&z=14

There might be one other beekeeper that is helping add data, but most
is what I collected.

My theory here is this:  European Honey Bees are non-native but
quickly portions of the US as migration moved out from initial
colonies both as a result of human and bee movement.  Our wild and
feral population are descendants of these and subsequent waves of
apiary expansion in the 1800s, especially with the advent of modern
beekeeping.  Lots of home with bees meant lots of swarms through sheer
statistical numbers.  You cannot keep them all from swarming. If the
swarm made it a season it would then swarm, maybe even several times.

Fast forward over a century and we are looking at something similar.
Migration of humans has stopped, but the lack of beekeepers means less
swarming in certain regions.  Add to that the hits the feral
population took each time a disease, pest, or virus ran across the
nation and you see a noticeable decline, but the more colonies that
are distributed across the US now means we will see a increase in
feral colonies down the line, many from other types of survivor stock
that are robust.

I think we are, in fact, seeing a upswing in feral colonies.

Is anyone else getting a similar vibe?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio