From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:12:12 -0400
Here we go again.  The extract is from a correspondent in Ireland.
<<<<<<I have heard this morning that the Department of Agriculture in
Dublin has
decided to destroy about 100 hives in the counties affected. But surely
infected feral colonies will re infest clean hives even given that all of
the infected hives have been destroyed (quite a presumption). Maybe the
Department has slowed it down but for how long?.>>>>>>>
Don't government departments ever learn?  This policy of destruction was
tried out over the years in country after country.  All in vain.  Surely by
now everyone, even non-beekeepers in ministries, knows that with our
present knowledge varroa cannot be eliminated, only controlled.
100 colonies, 4,000,000 bees, 2,000,000 foragers currently pollinating.
What a waste if destruction goes ahead.  Where will it end? If the report
is true the officials who decreed this order  need to be severely stung.
With all the knowledge gained over the years Irish and Scottish beekeepers
should have no difficulty in coming to terms with the mite.             Sid
P.      Five years with varroa and still keeping strong colonies and
getting plenty of honey when our climate permits.