From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:03:25 -0600
Algis Stankus-Saulaitis wrote:

> Here's the puzzlement: a few weeks ago I noticed liquid at the entrance,
> flowing out from the hive along the bottom board. As is my habit, I every
> so often use a small twig to flick out dead bees near the entrance. It turned
> out that liquid was not moisture, but honey. I thought a mouse had gotten in

<snip>

> What I don't understand,
> is the honey flowing out. Could it actually be warm enough inside for the
> cappings to melt? ...

Algis -

Could it be that the honey you are seeing is coming from comb at the very bottom of
the hive that you may have hit when scraping the bees out of the hive with a stick?
20's, 30's and 40's (fahrenheit that is) isn't near warm enough to melt comb. This
would be my guess.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey