From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:45:18 -0500
> Sober reassessment of the Isle of Wight Disease many years later (Bailey
> and Ball, 1991; Bailey, 2002) led to the conclusion that the disease had
> been due to a combination of factors, in particular, infection by chronic
> bee paralysis virus (completely unknown at the time), together with poor
> weather which inhibited foraging, and an excess of bee colonies being kept
> for the amount of forage available.

I agree basically with the conclusion but as far as chronic bee paralysis
virus I have to say *as earlier Baily research* said which is the virus
would have had little effect if not for the infestation of tracheal mites.

 I have seen bees with CPBV prior to mites in the U.S. but very vary rare.
However in my opinion CPBV could in fact have been more common than ever
thought in bees because we used to see quite a bit of "hairless black
syndrome" (which was considered a separate virus issue) which in the last
few
decades has been found to be simply a symptom of CBPV as CBPV was found in
samples.

CBPV became a issue in the U.S. with the entrance of tracheal mites and a
larger issue when varroa arrived. CBPV was the main virus issue with
parasitic mite syndrome ( PMS) Dr. Shiminuki explained to us.

bob