From:
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:00:00 +1300
Hi all,
On 9 January Garrett Dodds asked about the pros and cons
of Pierco frames.
I first tried Pierco frames about a decade ago. They have
performed extremely well, but for the first couple of years I
found that bees could enter between the 2 layers of plastic
that form the end bars. When the frames were pushed
together bees were trapped, and would be dead on next hive
inspection.
As the years passed wax has accumulated in the spaces so
bees can no longer be trapped, thank goodness. I disliked
leaving bees in plastic prisons after working hives.
I wonder if  the model for Pierco frames available now
excludes bees from end bars?

Cheers,
Barry Donovan,
Lincoln,