From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 06:21:18 -0500
>That is a gain of over six pounds a hive, and is unusual.

>It may be the best daily gain of the summer here.

In my area the weather is the big factor in honey production. When the
weather is right the plants secret nectar and the bees respond.

We have seen years in Missouri when the weather is too rainy,  cold or too
hot and the bees ignore their favorite nectar sources for days on end but
usually the weather changes and the bees are all over their favorite plants.

Our main honey flow from Clover can vary three weeks in when starts and
three weeks when the flow ends. Warm nights seems to help start the flow and
extreme hot weather with little moisture shuts the flow down.

What do others observe as far as honey production in their areas?

Main flows in the drought areas did not happen my friends tell me or little
honey produced and quickly used by the bees.

I have records dating back decades on honey seasons and the last few stand
out as weather extremes almost yearly. To survive in agriculture you expect
extremes but usually in the past you only had an extreme once every four
years. Now it seems you only get a normal (whatever normal is) once every
four years .  Droughts always seemed to last two years by my records and
ended with a wet year.

Weather over a few days is hard to predict but looking at my records I would
have to say the weather for our area is changing and is starting to have
many weather extremes during the season than we used to observe.

I have observed squirrels collecting nuts rapidly in 100F. weather this
summer
which I have not observed before. The humming birds were late to return.
Unusual?

bob