From:
Larry Mutti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 14:07:26 -0500
Snip from Charles Linder: What we dont know is if the statement of no winter cluaters in trees is actually correct or speculation. Or if the naural cavity is subject to moisture problems. Or if by some mechanism the natural cavity sheds that moisture better.

It seems to me it would be helpful if we had a better handle on the actual interior configuration of natural cavities that bees use, and what portion of them the bees utilize. I don’t know whether thermal imaging or some other strategy would allow us to see inside tree cavities non-invasively.  Of course, we would also want an army of investigators to go out and gather this data. I don’t happen to know of many occupied natural cavities I could investigate.

Larry Mutti - central PA