From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:53:46 +1000
John Horton wrote

> Trevor,
> Hev you found this Cloake method to be reliable? Especially during heavy
> flows or alternately during a nectar dearth? Do you feed them at times.

The Cloake method, in my experience, is certainly suitable during heavy
flows.  It is a matter of supering up.  The only problem is, if you do not
super up early enough, the cells end up with burr comb all around them.  We
have just finished now and this year I took 8 or 9 supers of honey of many
of the cell builders.  We have top feeders on the cell builders so if there
is a dearth, or better still just before the dearth, we feed granular sugar.
I do this because if they do not need it then it does not ferment.  Some
times I also open feed sugar syrup if things are off.  I have used patties
as a protein source but this year, towards the end, used open feeding of
soya flour.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA