From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:36:53 +0000
Vladimir V. Obolonkin wrote:

> 1. BEE-L discutions about plastic foundation lead me to try them. Can
> anybody help me to recieve information about bee-equipment producers (or
> traders) working (or wanting to work) for eastern europe and post-soviet
> countries?
>
> 2. Do anybody have experience of quin-breading in conditions of hobbiest's
> apiary (10-20 colonies)? I'd like to have step-by-step advise.
>
> 3. What is a degree  candy usage importance in spring? May be it'd easier to
> use syrop? Or, do anybody know a simple way of candy making. I've never hold
> it in hands - only heard abut it.

It's good to hear from you, Vladimir.  I know nothing about questions 1 and 2, but could give some
advice on #3.  I think that the candy board technique is perfect for winter, but at all other times
one should use syrup.  I make the candy this way:  1 quart (3 lbs) corn syrup, 15 lbs granulated
sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar is added to 4 cups boiling water, stirring continuously
until the temperature reaches 240F.  Take from heat and cool to 180F.  Then beat with electric
beater about a minute or so until the solution turns a creamy white.  Pour into molds to harden.  I
use a mold 1 inch deep and the outer dimensions of the hive so it can be turned upside down over
the hive for feeding.  (Sorry that all the measurements are in the English system- others will have
to modify them to metric.)

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA