Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:37:41 -0800
> Can society really afford to bankroll what amounts to
> a self-reinforcing treadmill of native pollinator
> research;

Can society afford to bankroll anything these days? Beekeepers think these things are vitally important, just like everyone else thinks their issues are vitally important. And everyone wonders why we can't control federal spending.

I was reading my ABF journal and I think it was the president's column that voiced concern about the new Congress and what might happen to things like earmarks. He asked something to the effect of "do they really want to have to vote on every bridge and sewer project?"

To which I would respond, YES!!! If it's worth spending my hard-earned tax money on, then for Pete's sake, it's worth having an actual vote rather than tacking it onto a 2000-page "continuing resolution" in the middle of the night. And if it can't pass an up-or-down vote on its own merits, then the money doesn't get spent.

Eugene Makovec
Villa Ridge, Missouri