From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2015 18:07:09 +0000
Hi all

Here is the USA there are several semi-standard hive covers, 1) The old fashioned telescoping outer cover which requires some sort of inner cover or the bees will glue it down and you can’t get it off. 2) The standard migratory lid which has cleats on the ends and generally is opened from the side. 3) Piece of cheap 16 x 20 plywood.

I have the first two types. Sometimes the migratory lid gets stuck to the frames and pulls them up when you try to remove it. You can’t pry from the end to free the frames because of the cleat. So, I have been experimenting with different types of cloths to place under the lid.

I have used plastic sheet in the past but it’s sort of ugly. This year I tried handkerchiefs. Some hives propolized the cloths, but they seemed to work OK. Other hives simply chewed them to shreds. I think real canvas was used at one time, even waterproofed canvas. I know at least one beekeeper who lays a burlap sack over the frames and puts the lid over that.

I am curious to what other folks have used in lieu of the standard inner/outer cover arrangement. Bearing in mind of course there are many other sorts of hive tops, but that isn’t the question. I am mainly talking about standard two cleat migratory lids. These are cheap enough and long lasting (as long as you don’t use plywood).

Pete from USA