From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 0100 18:40:45 GMT
Bob Harrison is probably correct in his statement that we are running out
of chemical options for varroa treatment.Widespread resistance to Apistan
in CA. led to the collapse of many colonies last year (mainly from viruses
vectored by varroa)so there was a shortage of hives for almond pollenation.
Switching to Coumaphos seems to have temporarily remedied the situation.
There was a hope that when Coumaphos begins to fail we could return to
fluvalinate.Not so according to one almond grower who has had extensive
experience with other types of mite pests.His opinion was once you lose a
treatment you never get it back.So where does that leave the practical
beekeeper?While taking advantage of every chemical treatment,we need to be
at the same time trying out other options that seem sensible.For instance,we
know that certain plants burned in the smoker will knock down(but not kill)
up to 95% of adult varroa.If they fall through a screened bottom,they are
history.Selecting for virus resistant bees is another option.After all,isnt that
really what the Buckfast bee was all about,finding bee strains that survived
the viruses vectored by tracheal mites?I also believe formic can play a
role as it has been in use for a long time and I havent heard of any resistance
yet.Essential oils in my experience do not give effective control of
varroa but do seem to have a positive effect on secondary diseases.
Small cell foundation and Russian queens?That is this years project(maybe).
One thing is for certain,the winds of change are starting to blow,and not just
for beekeepers!
          Happy New Year Everyone!,
            Mike

This message was sent using InterStar WebMail