From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:41:20 -0600
> I hope that I am not too "abrupt" for you, but you surely know very little
> about beeKEEPING.  You better do a good bit of reading about "How to keep
> bees".

I personally appreciated Gary's post (the one that drew the above comment)
because it made me think.  I realise that the way he did things was not the way
I -- as a long-time commercial beekeeper -- would probably have done it, but I
also know what he did is not all out of line with how some successful beekeepers
do things in some locales, and his account was well written.  It made me
reconsider a number of things.

I came to the same conclusions I always do, but like to hear about ideas that
are different from my own, especially when they are well expressed and in
conformity with our guidelines.  (Which relate to a number of things, including
content and civility. See http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/BEE-L/ and choose
the correct link)

As I read, I am often reminded that are many varied reasons that the people on
this list keep bees.  Some people are serious and after the dollar, some are
right in step with the latest fashion, some pride themselves on being
'scientific', and some are just tinkering and having fun.  We try to treat all
with kindness and respect.

> If you are not too mad with me, I suggest you read my PINK
> PAGES which are a monthly writing aimed at "Upgrading
> beeHAVERS to beeKEEPERS".

With all due respect, and I do very much respect anyone who works to share
knowledge and ideas, I have been to those very pages a number of times and I
can't say that -- even after careful consideration -- I can agree with all of
the opinions and ideas expressed there.

Beekeepers just don't agree about much except that if we don't put supers on, we
don't get honey -- and the top bar hive or skep guys (gals?) will even argue
with that.

For me, beekeeping is more art than science, although science certainly has its
place. There is no one way to do things and I hope there never will be.  When
the fun and adventure goes out of bug ranching, I'm outta here.

I hope Gary tells us how he makes out.  Maybe we'll learn something.  I'm sure
it won't be a disaster.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
---
Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the
correct screw.