From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:43:50 -0400
I am a bit behind with my mail, late nitghts rebuilding our web site, come
and
visit soon +ADw-beeworks.com+AD4- So I would like to make a number of points,
playing catch up.
    Fungus growth in sugar.
            Last year we suffered badly with fermenting sugar and fungus in
our baby nuc internal feeders, once it ferments the bees won't touch it. We
heard of adding Apple Cider vinegar, so tried it this year and it works.
Only problem we had to double and triple the vinegar to make it work. We now
add 1 tablespoon per gallon, and the bees love it, those babies did real
well this year.
        In Europe 'Thymol' is used as an anti fungus additive to sugar
syrup, and it's used extensively.
    To quote the label. Dissolve 50g in .25 litres of surgical spirit, add 2
teaspoons to 4.55 litres (1 gallon) of syrup and stir well. If the solution
is sealed tightly it will last indefinitely.
From our stock price 100g +ACQ-7.20,  500g +ACQ-23.66 US.
        Another use for 'Thymol'. In Europe extensive tests are being tried
against Varroa. A specially made frame with an evaporator section built in,
is placed in the hive. By adding 12g Thymol twice a year May and August the
author claims excellent varroa control.
    So I question? We add essential oils to syrup to confuse the chemical
sensors of the female Varroa. If adding Thymol to syrup to prevent fungus,
would the same effect be possible? Interesting?
        Finally. Comments on melting wax to separate the honey. My only
point be careful, don't do as I did one year. Stupidly I forgot and fed
heated honey to two hives and killed them with dysentery. If you need heat,
then use a double boiler ie. a water jacket or even steam clean it, it seems
to me that dry heat is the killer.
            Regards to all.
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario,Canada.
David Eyre. Owner.
Phone (705) 326 7171 Fax (705) 325 3461
beeworks+AEA-muskoka.net
www.muskoka.net/+AH4-beeworks
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo-