Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:36:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:33:35 GMT, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>The boys in the Dakota's have sit back and had honey crops many
>times over 200 pound averages...
>
>Is this based on migratory beekeeping?  What is the maximum, in your
>opinion, a stationary apiary can average in the best of locations?
>

Here in south central Mn folks who winter over or move in here for the season figure 3-4 supers 
per hive or 100-120 pounds as a year after year season average. This year 150 is more like it. 
West of here in the Dakota's the number is higher but highly dependent on rain and good weather. 

Keep in mind an average is just that a mathematical distribution where many hives can do 6-10 
supers with good management and good weather. Of course the other tail of the distribution 
means we have some 1 or 2 super hives too.

I mark my supers with a hive number and super ID using letters A,B,C etc to track floral sources. 
My record is M with 520 pounds (some were deeps), this year I had a H super hive.  

A large migratory keeper who lives nearby figures he can do better by staying here year after year 
rather then roll the dice with Mother Nature and try for a larger one season average in the 
Dakotas. 

We're fortunate here to have a long season. We have nectar coming in early May for colony build 
up and an occasional super to pull, some years we get a good June crop, July and the first 2 weeks 
of August is the main flow and some seasons we get a box or two in Sept also. 

But you talk to the old timers and they say honey production is off about 1/3 from the 50's & 60's 
before real estate development started en-mass.

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2