From:
BRIAN HENSEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:38:46 -0800
> DAVID EYRE WROTE:
>
> Good news! I would just wish that rather than tempting us with half
> details we could get the complete story (with sub-titles) and
> methodology.
>         Come on Brian, don't be shy tell us how YOU do it!

> The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
> Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
> Phone/fax  705-326-7171
> David Eyre, Owner.
> http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks
> e-mail <[log in to unmask]>

  HI DAVID AND BEE-L RECIPIENTS!
I have followed Dr. Rodriquez's recommendations almost exactly as he
describes them. I use a honey bear filled with MO, then open my hives
apply some smoke to drive the bee's down the frames and quickly apply a
small bead right on top of the frames, being careful not to drown a bee in
it. I then use my fingers to spread it evenly on top. I have also prepared
grease patties with just a 1:1 ratio of Crisco and sugar and keep patties
on at all times above the brood chamber.
    When I have found varroa I applied the MO. once a week until I
couldn't find any then just every other week or every three weeks now. I
realize that big operations would not be able to give as much attention as
I have to my hives, but I don't think that there is any other way of
keeping the bee's covered with MO to be as affective.
    I tried applying some MO. right on the landing board,but I saw that
some bee's were getting stuck upside down in it, and not able to free
themselves, especially when it was windy and they were having trouble
coming in for a smooth landing. I am kind of obsessed with beekeeping, and
some day I hope to have a bee yard of my own, and I often help local
beekeepers whenever I am lucky enough. Most of the beekeepers I know don't
have computers, and don't get access to Bee-L, so I often make copies of
discussions for them to read. I have told them about MO. As with new
things some don't want to take a chance, a couple say it's to labor
intensive, they want to just put in the Apistan and forget it. They are
stuck in a cycle of putting in strips taking them out when the honey
supers are installed, then their bee's are exposed to varroa, start to get
infested, but can't put in Apistan till the honey supers are done, then
apply the strips. I think that's why varroa is able to continue to infest
the hives because they are vulnerable in the fall till the supers are
removed. Some of my beekeeper friends have started using MO. when they had
honey supers still on the hives, and they noticed that they didn't have
any wingless bee's this fall. One of my friends John, was trying MO, but
when he found varroa he then installed strips to get rid of them quickly.
I think that I would do the same if I started to see that Mineral Oil was
not having any effect.
     I think that beekeepers could use both Apistan and Mineral Oil. Use
the MO. when you notice varroa and you have supers on and then when they
are removed install the strips. I think that varroa can't get started if
used together. I just like the idea of not using any pesticides or
chemicals in the hive if at all possible.
    I often wonder how varroa can't be found in a hive then suddenly
appear? Are they getting in on the backs of lost stray bee's that find
there way into the hives?  I wish that some scientists would find a way to
ruin their reproductive cycle and we could get the upper hand over them.
   Does anyone have any news about this approach? Can a varroa mite be
sterilized?

BRIAN HENSEL