From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:40:30 +0100
Hi Zach

> This is very fresh data (The last few bees are emerging today, of the 2nd
> batch). Part of the talk I will be giving tomorrow at the Michigan
> Beekeepers Association.

This is a great breakthrough, I wonder how much work went into the
preliminary stages ?

I can see some very useful breeding tools emerging in future from such a
technique, but I have a few questions.

Your method feeds the larva an apparently unrestricted and unchanging
diet through the whole period of development, I was under the impression
that worker bees were able to adjust the feed rate and recipe according
to various external conditions and age of the larva.

I realise that it is 'early days' for this technique and that feed could
be provided in a changing fashion by very simple controls and pumping,
is a varying diet unnecessary or are the larva/adult bees deficient in
some way ?

When you describe one of the resulting adults as 'queen like' can you
give more details of the appearance of the legs ?

If this technique could be developed for drone production, it would help
those of us using instrumental insemination.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)