From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:29:06 -0500
Peter, thanks for explaining the suicide theory further.   I guess I
can see how a generalized behavioral response such as self sacrifice could
be of benefit in certain conditions and in other conditions might be
counter productive, as would seem to be the case if it were to result in
the collapse of the colony.  You would have to assume that if such a
mechanism does exist it would have to have been the result of evolution
over long periods of time in response to stresses that have also existed
for long periods of time.  If suddenly a new wrinkle were to come into the
picture in the form of a particularly pernicious pathogen that had not been
encountered in the past, then this behavior might not work the way it was
designed to.  What this tells me is that it might be quite tricky, to say
the least, to select for this behavior as a way of combating something like
CCD.

Bill Truesdell wrote:
“look no further than Tracheal mites in winter. Infected bees
will move out of the hive and cluster on the hive and die of the cold.

    Bill, I have actually seen this myself in one of my hives last spring.
I concluded, as you say, that it was tracheal mites.  A lot of bees were
dying after coming back from the field and congregating near the entrance.
There was no streaking.  The bees looked like they were breathing hard.  I
hit the hive with a Formic acid treatment and the hive, which I had pretty
much given up on, recovered amazingly.  It actually produced a surplus.
It would have been interesting to see if the colony would have recovered
without the formic treatment.  If so, then it would seem to be a case in
support of the suicide hypothesis.  But then there would have to also be no
other logical explanation other than deliberate self sacrifice, such as…
that they instinctively new it would be harder to breath in the hive than
out in the open and could not foresee that they would die outside.  Either
way if it resulted in a net benefit for the colony and resulted in the
colony surviving, that behavior would tend to be passed on.

Steve Noble