Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 14:49:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (70 lines)
In a message dated 96-06-07 10:37:11 EDT, Doug Yanega writes:                   

>>Bee experts said that they can't predict how the                              
>>   decline in the wild bee population will affect wild plants and the         
>>   animals that eat them. But they guessed that in places such as New         
>>   York and New Jersey, which may have no wild honeybees left, there          
>>   aren't going to be too many wild berries this year.                        
>                                                                               
>Is there anyone besides me who finds this (and other pronouncements of doom    
>in this article) to be excessively pessimistic, ignoring the possible          
>ameliorating effects of *native* bee species? There *is* a native bee          
>expert in Shimanuki's lab there in Beltsville, after all - so there is no      
>obvious excuse for them to neglect to mention this anywhere.                   
>Exasperated, as usual,                                                         
>                                                                               
>Doug Yanega       Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.          

Your point is well taken, Doug, but the other pollinators around here are    
in just as bad shape.                                                           

There are some who think they will recover.  Well, the American chestnut,    
and the American elm probably will *eventually* recover, but it will be a       
darn slow process without a lot of help.                                        

I hear a lot of talk about other pollinators, but don't see much chance of   
protecting and enhancing these, particularly when the primary means of          
evading enforcement of pesticide label directions is to order the beekeeper     
to move or protect his bees.  Any pollinator here whose life cycle intersects   
with cotton bloom is in danger of eradication.                                  

How much is just talk, and how much is serious effort?  And how little       
dissemination of info on culture of alternative pollinators (trade secrets?)    

I admire and thank Keith Delaplane for finally getting some real info on     
bumblebee culture to those of us who'd like to try.  He's a mover and shaker    
in the beekeeping world.                                                        

Doug, you are also ignoring the way agriculture has changed, even in one     
generation. There is just no way unmanaged, uncultured wild pollinators are     
going to be adequate in a monoculture situation.  You can decry the             
monoculture, but I doubt you (or I) could stop it.                              

In just the past ten years, I've seen many of the smaller cuke and melon      
growers quit. One reason is that they relied on wild pollinators, or skimped    
on honeybees.  I listen to them complain that they can't make any money.  The   
big growers use bees in a lot better ratio, and they don't complain; they       
just increase acreage for another year.                                         

Well, we've just completed one of the best springs with the fewest hives     
we've had in recent years.  I wanted to save some hives out to go to            
sourwood, but most of these have been taken by desperate melon growers who      
suddenly found out about the bees (after losing the crown bloom crop).  We've   
got some nucs left; perhaps they can be beefed up enough in two weeks????       

The honeybees are in great shape, with many hives having bees out on the     
porch, as they used to in the "good ole' days."    Of course the cotton bloom   
hasn't started yet. We haven't had a trace of any pesticide damage yet this     
year.  Wheat we've seen has been clean of mustard, or else perhaps hasn't       
been sprayed.  The martins and swallows may have done a sufficient job.  They   
sure were "swarming" over the wheat fields.                                     

Keeping our fingers crossed and our camcorder ready.  Hopefully my efforts   
to protect honeybees will also protect other pollinators.                       

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC                 
29554                                                                           

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green                  
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html                                   

ATOM RSS1 RSS2