From:
MIke Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:55:11 -0500
 What of those non-migratory beekeepers raising their own replacement bees and queens? I do both and believe that my apiary is sustainable. Other than a few breeder queens brought in for particular traits, I haven't bought either in years and years. I haven't found it necessary to sacrifice honey crop by splitting strong colonies for my replacements.

While I do believe my operation is sustainable, that doesn't mean it's self-sufficient. I still buy lumber for making hive parts, KD frames, foundation, wires and eyelets. I still buy sugar. I still use a miticide. My honey crops, usually averaging about 100 pounds per colony, more than pay for any of the things I can't build or grow myself.

Let's not equate sustainability with self-sufficiency.
Mike