Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:55:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
 What of those non-migratory beekeepers raising their own replacement bees and queens? I do both and believe that my apiary is sustainable. Other than a few breeder queens brought in for particular traits, I haven't bought either in years and years. I haven't found it necessary to sacrifice honey crop by splitting strong colonies for my replacements.

While I do believe my operation is sustainable, that doesn't mean it's self-sufficient. I still buy lumber for making hive parts, KD frames, foundation, wires and eyelets. I still buy sugar. I still use a miticide. My honey crops, usually averaging about 100 pounds per colony, more than pay for any of the things I can't build or grow myself.

Let's not equate sustainability with self-sufficiency.
Mike

>
>While we are on the subject, though, "sustainable" means different things to different people. I could "sustain" my beekeeping operation by restocking with bees from the south, or by collecting swarms and ferals. Whereas, if you mean by sustainable, not bringing in bees, that is a different goal entirely. By the way, those that collect swarms and ferals should ask themselves "where did those bees come from." In most locales, they are escaped from commercial beekeeping outfits.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2