From:
Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 14:13:44 -0500
I run full open entrances at the bottom with an upper entrance. In the past I've noted that the hives get very wet [wood] so lat winter I put cheap tarps over the hives with the south side open. the hives were quite dry and I was afraid they were too dry. However, the bees brooded up quite well in the spring and I had 100% survival in my production hives. However, last winter was quite mild with lots of rain and ice. I've set them up the same way this winter and I'm hoping to have similar success. I also covered my nucs this winter the same way as the production hives. I've come to believe that moisture is the enemy here, not the cold.