From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:18:27 -0600
Hello All,
 On the nineteenth I wrote:

I have been pondering a
> complicated bee issue for several days now.

I was asked off list about the issue.

I am still pondering a question which is both simple an complicated. Simple
as to simply not use a location  the bees have been doing poorly but
complicated as to why the bees are doing poorly when the yards were some of
my best yards.

I have several of these locations. Locations I have used for decades and
always made decent honey crops ( and at time my best yards) but things have
changed lately. The honey plants have been on thes  locations.

To test I moved hives from a holding yard all started the same time with the
same queens and
the hives in these yards did poorly while the same hives did great in
another area.

I am convince the problem lies with the location. What is different today
from say six years ago?

Are others seeing a location they have used for a very long time change
drastically and not be able to figure out why? I hate to give up on what
used to be three of my best yards but guess I will.

K.C. area situation:
Roger we have had twice the snow fall as normal. Not sure what having the
ground snow covered for a long time does for the clover crop but we always
used to get bumper clover honey crops after such years.

I was always told to seed clover seed on the last snow falls of the year.

Have others which produce clover honey crops seen bigger clover honey crops
after a snowy winter in the Midwest?

bob