From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2018 09:55:22 -0500
I have seen the footpad comments but not the carapace. Was the OA anhydrous
or the hydrated version? My understanding is the hydrated OA (the form of
OA that most use) first boils off its water then sublimates into anhydrous
OA which condenses throughout the hive. Does the anhydrous OA have an
effect when in contact with the mite's body?

The test were done with the hydrated version, as that is the one that is easiest to handle.  I didn't ponder the detail that the vaporized may be a different version.  It may be a decent test at some point,  but I am not sure I see the value.   We know 100% OA is lethal what I have been pondering and Randy has been focused on is the delivery method.  It seems that really is the key.

Test are quite clear on the effects.  Death thru foot contact as slow (hours),  but very consistent.  I would equate it to OA on human skin.  Its pretty inert there in crystal form,  but put on the tongue or mucus membranes things change quickly.   Varro feet are much like a mucus membrane in that they are some form of wet, and I am guessing must get replenished.

OA on the Carapace requires some form of wetting agent.  I have zero ability to explain why,  or how it effects the mites overall,  but can assure you it is very lethal and is absorbed even more quickly than thru the feet. Death is in minutes.

It was speculated that OA "burned the feet" making them unable to grip,  that is not the case,  it is in fact lethal to the mite.

Anyone who wants, Email me offline and I will send a copy of the article.

Charles