From:
David Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:47:11 -0400

> I would still like to hear from David A. what CCD symptoms he finds in his
> 50% yearly losses. What percent fits the CCD definition?
>

> bob

Hey Bob

Staying to busy unloading semi's and moving bees to do more than lurk here right now.
In answer to you question.
My losses normally are not at 50%  ,in fact this winter was more at about 62% . As Jerry pointed out CCD symptoms seem to cycle around, I hadn't had that kind of loss since 2006 fall when David Hackenburgs started  and the others.
I had the exact same symptoms, bees were good strong hives, a few weeks later when making rounds there empty boxes ,or a hand full of bees and that repeats for a few weeks , no dead bees on the ground and   Mites, kept in check ,bees fed thru the winter.

In general  I'd say we find about 20 to 30 percent normal loss ,sometimes  a little more. I have had a few random yards that had what seemed to be CCD loss in an isolated  group ,in which all the entire operation was treated and fed the same but these yards had 50 plus percent loss
Overall you just have to get pretty good at making splits, it doesn't pay to buy replacement hives.

Where there are fruits and nuts  there are beekeepers