From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:33:30 -0500
<We have used Reflectix in cold and hot weather >

I can see using it INSIDE the hive, say over a brood nest in cool  weather.
 In our climate, if you put it outside  the hive on top of  the cover, you
might help hold in some of the hive heat, but you'd  likely reflect off the
sun that we want to warm the boxes  - when and  if we see the  sun.  Reason
we use BLACK roofing felt - to absorb  radiant heat.

I do use Reflectix on the inside of the garage door on my shop.  The  shop
is insulated, the old garage door wasn't.  Shop gets some warmth from  the
house, but it is not heated.  I  use  an electric infra-red  heater when I'm
working in the shop.

I just stapled the foil on the inside of the door (it bends, so does not
interfer, and I can run it right over the hinge areas - stopping  air
infiltration through the spaces between the horizontal door panels.

If its windy outside, I aim the heater at the door.  The Reflectix  works
great for bouncing the heat back into the shop.

Finally, I had to haul  a trailer load of bees to NE in very hot,  sunny
weather.  I pulled Reflectix over the whole load - just on the  top and on
the sides where the sun would hit.  Helped keep them cool - I  had temp probes
in the hives and a misting system that  I could activate  from the  truck
cab.

However, I had always thought that the comments in organic gardening  mags
about putting foil on the ground btw the rows would cause insects to fly
upside down was a myth.

Until I saw bees fly home to the hives on the trailer.  Some of those
flying over the foil did a back flip and spun in circles on top of the
Reflectix.

Jerry