From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:57:33 -0500
> Do commercial beekeepers in other states/areas other than Virginia USA
> sell
> drawn comb without bees etc?

Sure.
I sold four pallets of 36 to help the new commercial beekeeper.

When I saw the pitiful looking comb and plastic foundation which he had
power washed all the wax off I helped out. he had worked hard cleaning up
the equipment but this late in the season he needed excellent deeps so he
can get his singles ready for Texas & California. He had enough good comb
for most of his packages & nucs but some of his boxes were rough. Ok for
spring but not the best move with winter pressing.

I have purchased plenty of used comb but try to buy wisely. The above were
from a downsize but I was planning to put bees in next spring and sell as
hives.

Friendship trumps making money at times.

When H. Bell went out of business (or he said he was retiring) I went to
Florida and bought a trailer load of deep honey supers to use for brood
comb. No chemicals used and drawn.

I was on the road a full week making the turn.

At times commercial beekeepers sell deep honey supers in the bee magazines.

Quality dictates price and like *used car adds * the condition varies. You
have to pay for quality used equipment.

One year I went to Iowa and brought back really good condition honey super
deeps when Doug Gabbord was getting out of the bee business. I placed on
hives and the bees filled with honey.

More than paid for the supers which I later used for brood comb.

 H. Bell bought his hives. Sent a semi in and took his bees to blueberries.
Paid for the hives plus made money.

Doug was an unusual commercial beekeeper.His wife was a teacher in Germany
and he came to the U.S. through the summer and worked bees and then went to
Germany for the winter.

bob