From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:20:17 -0500
Our bees have plenty of pine available, but also take a great deal of
baccharis (Baccharis halimifolia L.)  The brazilian green propolis is a
species of Baccharis that looks identical (saw a video somewhere),
though don't know if the properties are equally interesting.

I stopped scraping propolis from hives and selecting against propolizing
bees about 10 years ago.  Don't know if it has been a factor in this
strain of bees surviving without chemicals; we are geographically
isolated and have imported a diversity of queens over the years from
stock selected for disease/pest resistance.

My empty equipment usually has bees harvesting propolis from it, it
seems an important resource for them.

Carolyn in the SC Piedmont, where we've had more sub-fifty (F) days this
winter than in the last 20 years.  I'm glad the thrifty Russian stock
that likes to fly at 45 degrees has dominated my 'survivor' stock.