From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:47:17 -0500

> If "the tests have not been analyzed following a scientific method" then
> we don't know whether the method works.  Personal opinions about a treatment
> (in the absence of data) are useless in rational decision making.

We continue to beat on this horse... I think it is dead by now.

We continue to hear from the two extremes - those who think science is all...
and those who are ready to go with the new thing because it seems intuitively
correct.  I sit in the middle and find both sides incorrigible.  I try to
practice prudence.  If we wait for multiple replications of double blind studies
using a true experimental method, we may have no bees left to keep.  Yet,
putting all our marbles (bees, that is) in one bag (a new fad treatment) we
might be equally sorry.  I vote for the middle road and civility.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA