From:
Michael Haberl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Haberl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:44:24 +0100
> I wonder if     anyone is familiar with the construction of the above
> device?

I am not familiar with the Pashke type of building frame, but with Building
frames in general.
They were widely used in former times in the typical "Bienenhaus" (*bee house*)
hives. There are very many different types. In most hives the frames are
positioned parallel to the hive entrance.
In the hive types I know you have just one comb at the back of the hive
(facing inner side of the bee house) parallel to it. A glass frame closes
the hive, followed by insulation and a wooden lid. The arrangement
is the same in summer and in winter.
The colonies are managed from the back. The idea is to decrease or increase the
hive space in units of one frame in order to give the optimal space at every
point of time.

> I cannot envisage how this is constructed as to simply replace the side
> of an existing super with glass will be of no use to observe activity in
> the winter time.

No, you can not. The bee cluster will not be at the very back in winter.
But you may see some condensed water at the glass indicating
that the bees are breeding (*NOT* a very strong indicater).

IMHO -   ;)  -  a Building Frame is an interesting and valuable tool for
beginners, but as you get more experienced it gives you no additional
information about the condition of the colony.

Michael Haberl
Zoologisches Institut der Uni Muenchen         Tel: ++49 89 5902-444
Luisenstr. 14                                  Fax: ++49 89 5902-450
80333 Muenchen, Germany   E-mail: [log in to unmask]