From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:50:13 -0400
>> As Bob says, with enough stings, the swelling and itching reaction
>> disappear.

I don't get any itching and swelling anymore.
Two nights ago, I was thinking about the oddities of a defensive nuc in my
yard while sleeping.  So I stopped by the yard on my way down the driveway
that morning to run a 'test' on the nuc.  I tapped 3 times on the hive
stand, no reaction from the other nucs, but on the 3 rd tap, about 24 bees
zipped out of the defensive nuc and went around to my truck tail light
that was the nearest dark object to that particular nuc.

I was quite amused by how they attacked the tail light, and didn’t even
notice me standing 4 feet away!  Just as I was thinking "they don't even
noticing me"  that’s when they noticed me.   Well,,, as I was picking out
stings on my way to work, I counted  11 stings from my face and arms.  The
only one that caused any hurt was a bee that got me on the ear, felt like
my ear was on fire, it was weird, must have hit a major blood vessel.

Anyhow, the test was a success!

Next test, I want to place a few fresh stings near the entrance to see if
alarm pheromone sets them off.   I’m considering wearing a set of ear
muffs for that test. ;)

Joe